Skin Pigmentation & Birth Mark Reduction
What is it and what causes it?
Excessive skin pigmentation or discolouration is associated with an abnormal production and accumulation of melanin by the skin’s pigment-producing cells, melanocytes.
Normal production of melanin is a natural protective mechanism of the skin and is dependent mostly on UV exposure.
Causes of hyperpigmentation may include;
- Excessive UV or sun exposure.
- Hormonal influences, such as melasma caused by the contraceptive pill or pregnancy.
- Birthmarks and pigmentation secondary to congential conditions.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as a result of trauma to the skin.
The successful treatment of pigmentation will ultimately depend on a variety of factors, including the skin’s natural pigment and type, as well as the cause of hyperpigmentation.
Here at the Tasmanian Skin Clinic, the following treatment options are available;
- Prescribed or medical-grade skin care.
- Medical Skin Peels.
- IPL technology is attracted to darker areas of pigmentation, effectively targeting the discolouration and encouraging the deeper levels of the skin to heal and correct blemishes over time.